By Bunmi Oguns, Associate Editor
There is cause to cheer in Lagos, as our sources has revealed that the six students kidnapped in Igbonla, Epe, Lagos State, more than two months ago, have been released.
A reliable source disclosed that the mother of one of the kidnapped students told him that the deputy governor of Ondo state had called her to break the good news, and she has spoken to her son.
The elated mother had also hinted that the boys were on their way back to Lagos.
This confirms recent reports which had alleged that the boys may have been moved to the creeks of Ondo State, even though security operatives continued to tell the public that the abductors were believed to be hiding somewhere in the creeks between Lagos and Ogun states.
Last week, Governor Akinwunmi Ambrode of Lagos had expressed concern over the continued abduction of the kids, saying he would ensure that the kids are released soon.
Speaking to journalists in Abuja, Mr. Ambode said his inability to secure the release of the kids quickly made him feel ‘inadequate’.
“If there is anything that makes me feel terribly inadequate, it is my inability to quickly get those schoolchildren back,” the governor said.
“I want to assure everybody that we are on top of it. We cannot be putting all the efforts that we are making on the pages of newspapers . That will jeopardise our efforts to recover those children.
The Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG) in charge of Zone 2, Adamu Ibrahim, had also assured that the kids would soon regain their freedom.
However, the parents and relatives of the kidnapped students, who had by that time become disillusioned, announced that they would resort to prayers, since they felt abandoned by the state government.
The release brings to an end, the long anguish suffered by the parents of the students, who were abducted at around 5 a.m. on May 25 by gunmen, who arrived through a creek behind the school.
The hoodlums reportedly broke through the school’s fence to gain access into the premises.
The incident occurred seven months after gunmen kidnapped two teachers and four pupils of the same school, although the victims were later freed.
The six students still with the kidnappers are Peter Jonah, Isiaq Rahmon, Adebayo George, Judah Agbausi, Pelumi Philips and Farouq Yusuf.